The Independent Variable
🏀 Warriors at Celtics - Live Weblog
January 26, 2019
Went on a Portillo’s run into snow so I got back a little late, missing the first three minutes if the game. Excited for this game, with two great teams, the Celtics dealing with turmoil, and the Warriors coming off some terrific games, and the addition of Boogie Cousins. It’s 10-10 at the moment.
- 19:52 - Some of Boogie’s laziness showing as Horford gets a wide open jumper, knocking it down with no one within ten feet of him.
- 19:53 - On the other end, Morris playing fantastic lockdown defense on Durant, forcing a bad jumper and a miss.
- 19:54 - A trap on Klay, with three guys swarming him, results in Smart coming up with the ball, leading the break, and getting Kyrie a three which drops down.
- 19:56 - More defense creating offense as Looney and Iggy defend the rim on a Horford drive, and then Curry throwing the oop to KD on the other end.
- 20:00 - Nine minutes through the first quarter, the thing that stands on for both teams is the help defense. Boston has kept a close eye on Durant, and both teams have done a great job at converging at the rim, not letting anything easy through.
- 20:05 - When Draymond Green knocks down a three to give the Warriors the lead, it could be a long night for the opposing team.
- 20:13 - Curry went scoreless through the first quarter, but just knocked down back to back threes here early in the second.
- 20:33 - Kyrie gets a lucky little offensive rebound tip that ends up bouncing off the backboard and in to give the Celtics a 57-56 lead with two minutes left.
- 20:35 - A little bouncing around from Kyrie, with Iggy on him like a glove, but he is able to get a little space on a spin to get a shot up right at the shot clock, knocking down the fifteen footer.
- 20:37 - Marcus Morris chirping to Iggy from the bench. I’m always curious what these guys say to each other in situations like this. I was never a trash talker on the court so I don’t have any experience with it myself.
Warriors 61-59 Celtics
Curry: 17 pts | 5/10 3pt | 6/12 FG | 3 asts
Durant: 16 pts | 7/14 FG | 5 rebs
Thompson: 10 pts | Cousins: 6 pts | Green 5 pts
Irving: 19 pts | 7/14 FG | 5 asts | 4 rebs
Horford: 9 pts | 4/6 FG | 7 rebs
Brown: 10 pts (off the bench)
- 20:57 - Tatum going right at Cousins with a high floater off the glass for two. Impressive from the young guy. When he has the confidence to attack, he is extremely dangerous.
- 20:59 - Cousins has five fouls already! Not even halfway through the third quarter. He’s only played fifteen minutes. One of the announcers said it earlier, but it doesn’t even matter if he gets into foul trouble every game. Fifteen to twenty minutes if Boogie is just a cherry on top for GSW.
- 21:01 - A three from Morris gives the Celtics a two point lead. 77-75. Durant and Curry have been quiet so far, six minutes into the third. The third quarter is usually when the Warriors rain down threes and blow teams out. These next six minutes could tell us a lot.
- 21:03 - How the hell does Durant get that wide open for jumper???
- 21:04 - Beautiful Celtic ball movement. Only negative is it ended in Smart’s hands, but luckily for Boston he knocked down the three.
- 21:10 - Announcers were just talking about Smart’s improved three point shooting due to shot selection. Moments later, he airballs a jumper, and then the next possession down he receives a pass from Kyrie on the break inside the three line, takes a dribble to step back for a three and misses. These are not the shots of someone with improved shot selection. Smart is not Curry. He should be taking his shots within the flow of the offense.
- 21:20 - I keep seeing coercials for the Spanish version of Ugly Betty on Telemundo streaming games on the ESPN app. Weird.
Warriors 90-84 Celtics
- 21:31 - Man, I love Al Horford. Great defensive possession for him getting the block on a Cousins post-up.
- 21:35 - Warriors playing two bigs right now with Cousins and Looney down low.
- 21:41 - Cousins with back to back steals. First one was just an awful pass from Kyrie. The second one, he straight up stripped Kyrie at the top of the key.
- 21:45 - Game is going back and fourth as they trade one point leads.
- 21:47 - Another Irving turnover let’s Klay knock down a three to put the Warriors up three.
- 21:50 - Marcus2Marcus to tie the game. Morris posted up on Klay kicks it out to a tightly guarded Smart, with the shot clock dwindling, and he somehow knocks it down. Smart’s shooting continues to baffle me.
- 21:52 - Commercials for the ProBowl tomorrow. Do people actually watch that? I feel like it’s even worse than the NBA All-Star game. Guys just get quarters for the most part, and you aren’t going to tackle the same way you would in a regular game.. anyways…
- 21:53 - Draymond at the line up two with eight seconds to go.
- 21:53 - Missed the first.
- 21:54 - Missed the second but gets his own rebound. Celts have to foul Curry this time. Warriors still up two, now with six seconds left.
- 21:55 - Curry knocks em both down to go up four with six seconds left. That should do it for em.
Warriors 115-111 Celtics
Curry: 24 pts | 6/12 3pt | 7/15 FG | 3 asts
Durant: 33 pts | 10/23 FG | 9 rebs
Thompson: 21 pts | Cousins: 15 pts | Green 5 pts
Irving: 32 pts | 12/27 FG | 10 asts | 6 rebs
Horford: 22 pts | 10/15 FG | 13 rebs
Tatum: 20 pts | 7/15 FG | 5 rebs