🌎 Exploration of News Subscriptions
8 January 2020
I try to read a lot, but go through fits and starts pretty often. Sometimes I’m devouring multiple books, comics, blogs, magazines, and newspapers and other times I barely read anything. When I get in the mode to devour, I tend to oversubscribe myself to magazines and websites, which is most likely the cause of my reading downfall when it occurs.
Well, I’m in one of those moods again where I want to subscribe to everything. And magazines tend to be my kryptonite. I love checking out indie publications as well as the classics.
Before we get into the exploration, I figured I’d lead off with what I’m currently subscribed to.
all lists are in order of preference/desire
- The New Yorker
- The Economist
- The New York Times
- Warren Ellis (Orbital Operations)
- Craig Mod (Ridgeline and Rodin)
- The Ringer
- Austin Kleon
- and many, many other blogs and microblogs and newsletters.
Subscribing to Apple News again would solve the non-indie magazine problem (see below), but I really dig the New Yorker app, so I wouldn’t really be able to save any money by dropping it unless I really went all in on Apple News…
With books, comics, all of that, and other articles shared around the web, I don’t usually feel like I’m in need of more reading. But right now I am craving other magazines, especially indie publications. And there are sooooo many I want to read and subscribe to in print, which is the real big problem when they start to stack up. But I just can’t stop myself.
- Cereal - have gotten before will most likely get again. Lovely photography travel zine in a wonderful package.
- The Paris Review - a classic. I read their Daily stuff on the web and their podcast was extraordinary.
- Craft Beer and Brewing - given my new hobby this seems like a must.
- Anxy - as someone with pretty extreme social anxiety, a zine about anxiety is fascinating.
- McSweenys - I don’t read their site anymore, but the way they change the packaging with every issue just makes me smile.
- Gossamer - a well designed weed zine?
- Little White Lies - best designed film zine I could find.
- The New Philosopher - love the artist who does the covers.
- Kinfolk - another wonderfully designed zine similar to Cereal.
- Monocle - have gotten before. Lovely monthly in a thick zine with some decent writing.
- Ploughshares - fiction zine I don’t really know much about but it looks interesting.
- Delayed Gratification - have gotten before. Probably won’t get again. Cool premise, but I’m already entrenched in everything on a daily basis. Wonderful info graphics though.
- Weapons of Reason
- The Exposed
- Fantastic Man
- Air Mail - had the free trial at the beginning and liked it but thought there was room to grow in its medium. Will probably check out again.
- The New Consumer - really want to subscribe and support Frommer, but $200 annual with no monthly fee is hard to do without giving a month a shot first.
- Marvel Unlimited - I really miss following a character every month for years. I really only read Image Comics now, but am thinking about hopping back on Batman and subscribing to this.
The rest of these are all included with Apple News, which I may give another shot.
- Rolling Stone
- The Atlantic
- Vanity Fair
- National Geographic
- New York Magazine
So many things… I know as soon as I jump in, I’ll regret it, but I love having a diverse set of things to read from diverse people and places so it’s hard to pick just a few. Instead I dive head first and end up regretting/cancelling everything.
For now, I’ll hold off as long as I can, but I have a feeling The Paris Review, Marvel Unlimited, and Apple News may be in my future sooner than later.