🇺🇦 The Independent Variable
🏀 Warriors @ Rockets: Game 3 - Live Weblog
May 4, 2019
It’s time. Golden State did what they needed to and won both home games. Now we find out if Houston will rollover or if they will fight and try to complete step one of evening up the series.
- 19:46 - Warriors making shots at a great clip to start the game so far. Both Curry and Durant have knocked down threes, Klay hit a deep two as well. On the other side, Paul, Gordon, and Harden each have a two point bucket. GSW 12-6- HOU
- 19:48 - I don’t see how Houston can slow down this Warriors lineup with Capela on the court. Curry easily got by Capela on the dribble, missed the layup, but then no one was around to keep Green off the glass who got the easy tip in.
- 19:49 - Durant is so good at knocking down tough, well-contested mid-range jumpers.
- 19:58 - Playing Looney out there with Capela on the court takes away the edge the Warriors have been using to their advantage. I’d play small as long as Capela is on the court. Every Warrior starter besides Curry can check Capela.
- 20:04 - I don’t think it’s true for the whole game but I remember feeling like the Rockets closed the gap back in game two when Harden was out. Harden in the bench now and the Rockets have closed the gap a bit again…
- 20:06 - Iggy just tried to roll to the basket and throw down hard and Capela met him at the rim with two hands sending that shit straight back. 😳
Warriors 26-25 Rockets
- 20:11 - Warriors had 20 with five and a half minutes left too. Rockets must have gone on a 14-6ish run in the final five minutes, with Looney in for the Warriors (allowing Capela to stay in and create an advantage) and surprisingly, Harden on the bench for at least three of those minutes.
- 20:14 - And I’m not saying Looney is bad or they can’t play him, he should definitely be in, as he is now, when Houston plays Nene.
- 20:15 - Bogut is in because Looney has three foils and it looks like he can barely move out there.
- 20:16 - Durant and Klay need to be more assertive when they are the only scorers out there with Livingston, Jerebko, and Bogut. Have Bogut set screens, let Jerebko camp in a corner for a three and have Livingston run wild working to distribute and/or find an open mid-range.
- 20:18 - On the other sids, Houston is doing everything right. Whenever Golden State doesn’t have the death lineup out there, the Rockets need to take advantage and so far they have.
- 20:23 - Tucker is playing lockdown on Durant right now and Gordon is getting buckets on the other end.
- 20:27 - Warriors have the death lineup (Livingston instead of Iggy though) back in. Green gets a layup on one end, and then on the defensive end, Livingston gets matched on Harden out on an island, Green slides over, basically playing free safety, with Klay dropping down to check Capela. Harden drives and all of the Warriors seamlessly rotate to cut off the drive and force a shot clocks violation. Beautiful. That’s why you keep Green the C whenever Capela is on the floor.
- 20:29 - Gordon is really doing everything for Houston’s offense right now.
Warriors 49-58 Rockets
- 20:43 - Gordon had 20 in the first half. Mark Jackson was right about one thing, when Chris Paul has the ball in his hands the Rockets are better. He gets everyone involved better. When he was given the opportunity he led the runs for them.
- 20:45 - I get the iso with Harden has been effective for the Rockets, but can you imagine if Paul, Harden, Gordon, and Tucker moved the ball around like the Warriors?
- 21:04 - Warriors had ample amount of opportunities to cut the lead, getting to the bucket but missing bunnies. On the other end Harden and CP knock down back to back threes to give the Rockets their biggest lead yet at 11.
- 21:08 - Curry can’t get anything from deep to drop tonight.
- 21:15 - Curry finally hitting his second three after missing every attempt besides his first. And Gordon answers right back on the other end once again.
- 21:27 - Curry definitely traveled on that pass at the end of the quarter.
Warriors 84-91 Rockets
- 21:31 - Durant has been killing it and cuts it down to two with that mid-range jumper.
- 21:31 - Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Back to two.
- 21:32 - Aaaaand a three for Durant to give them a one point lead this time. Durant with 39 already. Warriors 94-93. Ten minutes to go.
- 21:38 - Gordon continues to be Weapon X for Houston. 6/12 from 3.
- 21:39 - And Klay from three to go up 100-99! Everyone is knocking down threes now. I guess they saw Green hit one to end the third and figured if he can make one everyone else better toon
- 21:43 - Durant drive to a cutting Klay for a ferocious lil jam.
- 21:44 - Iggy can’t reach when Harden drives like that. Make him hit the floater over you rather than send him to the line.
- 21:46 - Miscommunication between Curry and Green gives Rivers an open look and he knocks down the three to increase Houston’s lead to four.
- 21:53 - Durant and Harden have been the headline players this game, but it’s really Klay and Gordon who have put their imprint on making the big plays when they need to.
- 21:55 - Iggy with a big block on a Harden three.
- 21:59 - Iggy with another three to five the Warriors a two point lead with less than a minute left.
- 21:59 - Harden with two free throws to even it up with 38.7 seconds to go.
- 22:00 - Durant missed and now the Rockets have a chance at the last shot.
- 22:00 - Jump ball!
- 22:01 - Overtime!
- 22:04 - Tucker opens up scoring in OT with a floater in the lane.
END OF REGULATION
Warriors 112-112 Rockets
- 22:07 - Gordon with another(!) three! Gives the Rockets a four point lead. Thirty for him so far, 7/14 from 3.
- 22:07 - Iggy with another three(!) to close the gap to one!
- 22:13 - Harden with a 3 to put the Rockets up 6. 40 seconds left. That might be the dagger.
- 22:15 - Klay just smirkin standing behind Durant as KD knocks down his three free throws.
- 22:17 - Curry just had a chance to cut it to three with a wide open layup but went up to dunk it and missed. After that the Warriors just let the clock run out.
Warriors 121-126 Rockets
- 22:23 - Great game. Overall, I’m surprised the Rockets won this one. Gordon was superb for them making big plays when they needed it. Curry, on the other hand, was atrocious for the Warriors and missed a lot of bunnies and open looks from three. I bet he turns it around next game and they go up 3-1.