🇺🇦 The Independent Variable
⚽️ Liverpool @ Manchester United - Live Weblog
February 24, 2019
Haven’t been able to watch a Liverpool game closely in awhile and this morning is the perfect game to get back to it. Playing at Old Trafford against a much improved United squad since Ole Gunnar has taken over manager duties.
Hopefully Liverpool can hold up defensively with Matip and Milner in the back four.
- 08:13 - Fast paced so far with pretty tight passing on the midfield from both sides. I can see a small mistake lead to a dangerous counter.
- 08:13 - Rashford had an opening from outside the box, but a weak strike led to a ball falling right into Allison’s hands.
- 08:16 - Surprised Manchester United didn’t start Lingard over Lukaku with Milner in the back four. Teams usually look to attack Milner out side with speed where Lukaku is more of a downhill attacker.
- 08:18 - Liverpool was able to get the ball into the box, as Mane cut it back to the middle, just not enough Liverpool players ready for it.
- 08:18 - I love Fabinho’s deep passes.
- 08:21 - Matip attacks right up the middle and wins Liverpool a free kick just outside the box.
- 08:22 - Salah airs it way to high over the goal…
- 08:27 - Herrera coming off the pitch in the twentieth minute with a hamstring issue. Pereira on.
- 08:29 - Milner able to keep up with Rashford in the deep left corner, but a beautiful ball from Pogba was scary. Van Djik was able to header it out for a Manu U corner.
- 08:30 - Mata stops Salah dead in bus tracks before Milner picks up a yellow sliding into Pogba, preventing the counter attack.
- 08:33 - Mata off with an injury in the twenty fifth minute. It sends Lingard on the field. And also means Rashford is moving over to Milner’s side, which could be dangerous. Although Rashford seems to have a bit of a limp as well. Man U players are seemingly falling like flies.
- 08:37 - Now Firmino coming off with injury in the thirty first minute. Sturridge replacing him. Must be something in the water. All these subs getting used up so quickly.
- 08:43 - Pogba left alone with the ball just outside the box. Puts a good strike on it but van Djik was there and able to head it away for another Man U corner.
- 08:45 - Matip is great at attacking up the middle when given the space. He’s done it twice now and both have led to dangerous opportunities for Liverpool.
- 08:46 - With that being said, I still really miss Gomez. He started the season so strong.
- 08:47 - Manchester United just missed the best chance of the game, with Allison diving to keep Lingard from converting.
- 08:48 - It was exactly what I was worried about though. Rashford attacking behind Milner. Liverpool defense scrambling to recover. Rashford able to get Lukaku the ball at the top of the box and he beautifully left it off for Lingard attacking the goal.
- 08:49 - United using there last sub in the forty second minute! Lingard, who came on for Mata, is off with Alexis Sanchez coming on.
- 08:50 - Milner’s weak attack still able to win a corner kick.
- 08:50 - Matip puts a beautiful header on the corner but it goes about five feet over the goal.
- 08:52 - Alexis sends the ball into the box, Lukaku gets a header on it but Allison side steps to gobble it up. Robertson down for Liverpool now.
Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool
- 08:58 - Hoping to see Alexander-Arnold and Shaqiri come in for Henderson and Milner in the second half. The sooner the better.
- 09:20 - That Pogba header on goal was scary…
- 09:23 - Rashford nearly had a chance as he got behind Matip and van Djik but the deep pass got a little ahead of him allowing Allison to put a stop to it.
- 09:24 - Manchester United’s attack is strong right now. They look like the far better squad, controlling the ball and attacking with numbers. Liverpool looks frantic unable to get anything going and every mistake leads to a United chance.
- 09:32 - Mane had a chance to give Sturridge a shot at the top of the box. Instead, he tried to turn, failed, and then sent it over when it was too late. This seems like a common theme for Liverpool. They always think going themselves is the best way to go and when they get jammed up they make the pass when it’s too late.
- 09:35 - Announcers debating who Shaqiri will come in for. I feel like it’s obvious to swap him for Henderson to shift to an offensive strategy. We will see what Klopp goes with…
- 09:37 - Beautiful corner from Milner to a Wijnaldum header but it’s just deflected off for another corner.
- 09:38 - Shaqiri in for Henderson! Called it.
- 09:42 - Liverpool lucky with the offsides call. Otherwise it woudl have been a Matip own goal. 😰
- 09:46 - Origi coming in for Salah as the final Liverpool sub. Interesting decision.
- 09:48 - Milner steals the ball from Origi…? Guess he got tired of Origi’s dancing…
- 09:58 - Scary cross from Lukaku up the right side goes untouched across the front of the goal.
Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool
- 10:01 - Disappointed to only come away with one point. Especially, when you consider United had to use up all their subs in the first theory minutes. Luckily, it’s still enough to put Liverpool in first now having played the same number of games as City.