🇺🇦 The Independent Variable
⚽️ Monaco vs PSG - Live Weblog
November 11, 2018
Three games, two logs already, what’s one more?
- 14:06 - I get people don’t like PSG because of the high strength compared to the rest of Ligue 1, as well as Neymar’s flopping, but it’s an absolute joy to watch Neymar and Mbappe play.
- 14:08 - The biggest issue for PSG as they look towards the Champions League playing a 3-4-2-1 is with Cavani up top he’s the least likely to defend, but you know neither Mbappe or Neymar are making an effort to do so either.
- 14:08 - Neymar to Cavani for a goal originally called offside. VAR utilized and overturns the call to get it right and give PSG the lead five minutes in.
Monaco 0-1 PSG
- 14:11 - I’d love to see Neymar and Mbappe play together for years to come, but ultimately out of the three upfront, where I believe they need to make a change, one of those two will be the one to leave. I just think their skill sets fit so well together. Mbappe’s downhill speed, and Neymar’s ball control and shot-making.
- 14:17 - Once again, Neymar sends a ball in. This time Diaby redirects it to Cavani, who puts it in the back of the net and it’s called offside. Once again, VAR is used and overturns the call on the field giving Cavani his second goal of the day.
Monaco 0-2 PSG
- 14:30 - Monaco blew it. A beautiful cross in to the weakside, but the player there instead of tapping it into the back of the net, skied it over the goal entirely.
- 14:32 - Another chance for Monaco off of a corner kick, this time a little more difficult. The ball trickled to the top of the box, the player there took it off the chest and tried to square it up but just got under it putting it over the goal once again.
- 14:33 - It’s been a quiet fifteen minutes for PSG after their first two goals from Cavani. Monaco has had the better possessions and opportunities these past eight or so minutes.
- 14:34 - Speaking of the devil, Neymar sends a ball in for Mbappe to chase down, but it’s hit just a little too hard for Mbappe to catch up to.
- 14:39 - I’d like to see Nkunku be a little more assertive for PSG. I get it’s probably tough with all the guys he plays next to, but when given the opportunity he can sometimes miss the play because he is unsure.
- 14:40 - Just as I typed that out Nkunku received a pass from Neymar and one-touched it past the defense to give Mbappe a 1-on-goalie opportunity forcing the goalie to get big a make a nice save.
- 14:51 - That was quite the interesting play, mostly due to the reactions at the end. Neymar sent a deep ball down the right side for Diaby to chase down with no one near. Diaby tracked it down, brought it into a box, which began to gain population, and instead of making a pass, sent a weak ball into the keeper. Neymar, Mbappe, and Cavani, were all visibly upset by Diaby’s decision.
- 14:53 - Give and go from Draxler to Nkunku and back to Draxler, who puts it in the back of the net once more for PSG. Called a goal, however, this time it looks like VAR might take it away. The sideline ref on this side has been having a rough go today.
Monaco 0-2 PSG
- 14:57 - Turning my attention over to the AC Milan vs Juventus game for a bit. Juventus up 1-0 at the 63’ mark.
- 15:02 - Nice one man break by Ronaldo up the middle but ultimately couldn’t get a step on the defender and sends a weak shot to the keeper.
- 15:07 - Yeesh, I had a ton of typos through the first half. They’ve been corrected now.
- 15:13 - Back to your regularly scheduled programming of Monaco vs. PSG 😜
- 15:16 - Jordi Mboula carted off the field. Never like to see something like that.. hopefully all is okay. Isidor subbing in for him.
- 15:18 - Monaco midfielder getting fancy with the footwork on the defensive end to single handedly move the ball up the field for his team.
- 15:19 - Diaby cross to Cavani for an easy tap in and a hat trick for Cavani.
Monaco 0-3 PSG
- 15:28 - It’s weird to say this about one of the most expensive players in the world, but the template for Neymar should be David Silva. The problem being, Neymar doesn’t want to be a “midfielder” because he’d be expected to come back. He’s also too selfish and wants to force the issue to score goals for himself. However, as you can see from Silva, if you don’t force it, chances will come to you naturally.
- 15:28 - Mbappe forces the penalty in the box. Neymar to take the shot.
- 15:29 - Goal for Neymar with his typical stutter step up and soft shot to the right side.
Monaco 0-4 PSG
- 15:32 - Mbappe down holding his ankle. I imagine they just take him off at this point to avoid a serious injury.
- 15:33 - The kid coming on for Monaco, Massengo, looks like he is fifteen, tops.
- 15:34 - Draxler coming off for PSG. Nsoki taking his place. Mbappe still on the pitch.
- 15:36 - Awful throw in by Kimpembe for PSG leads to a Monaco shot just off the post.
- 15:39 - The one thing you can say about Neymar and Mbappe is, despite the competitiveness of each wanting to score, once one has they work hard to give the other opportunities to score as well.
- 15:43 - 77’ Di Maria in for Diaby and Choupo-Moting in for Nkunku. Looks like all three forwards will finish the game for PSG.
- 15:43 - Mbappe puts one in finally but it’s ruled offside by VAR.
- 15:46 - The young kid for Monaco, Massengo, laid a beautiful ball into the box, but his teammates couldn’t do anything with it.
- 15:47 - What an awful corner kick taken by Neymar. Skied it over the whole box, fifty feet high. Barely even kept on play on the other side.
- 15:48 - At 85’ now, updates here are over with unless a goal or something absolutely spectacular happens.
Monaco 0-4 PSG