Arrest the Cops Who Shot Breonna Taylor and Jacob Blake
⚽️ Chelsea vs Everton // Man City vs Man United - Live Thoughts
November 11, 2018
Not committing to a full live weblog for either of these games, but they are both very interesting games and I wanted to just create a page to throw down my thoughts as I watch. Chelsea/Everton starts at 8:15 CST and the Manchester Derby starts at 10:30 CST.
- 08:21 - Chelsea is probably my second favorite team, but I’m really looking forward to seeing Richarlison. Everton got off to a fast start with Richarlsion leading the way, however, after his early suspension things seemed to lag behind a little but for them.
- 08:23 - I thought things started clicking for Chelsea after Giroud was insterted into the starting line-up so I was surprised to see Morata slotted back into that spot.
- 08:32 - Fifteen minutes in and Everton has looked like the stronger side to me. They’ve been able to move the ball forward when they’ve had possession (Chelsea still probably has the edge in total possession time), but neither side has been able to utilize their top strikers yet.
- 08:39 - Ref gives Mina a yellow for a tackle on Hazard right outside the box. I disagree it deserved a yellow.
- 08:46 - Yellow awarded to Jorginho for a tackle on Sigurdsson. I agree with this one. He just went straight down and in taking out his legs.
- 08:58 - What a beautiful strike by Alonso and an even more beautiful save by Pickford.
Chelsea 0-0 Everton
- 09:22 - Within eleven seconds of the second half Morata gets a chance on goal and Pickford comes up smiling after another save.
- 09:25 - On the other end, Walcott had an opportunity on the attack for Everton, but spoiled it with a bad first touch.
- 09:29 - Great opportunity for Chelsea but Hazard misplaced the ball, and probably hit it a little too hard, for Morata to tap it in.
- 09:36 - NEWS: No Paul Pogba for ManU later today. Not only is he not starting, he’s not on the squad at all.
- 09:39 - Hazard is so good. Not only can he dribble in crowds, he can do so going downhill at full speed.
- 09:41 - Both Chelsea and Everton are using their first subs at 64:00. Jorginho off for Fàbregas and Bernard off for Lookman.
- 09:48 - Morata’s goal correctly called offside. Hate when guys when guys argue an obvious call like that.
- 09:54 - Chelsea seems to be on the verge of scoring every couple of minutes. They just can’t seem to capitalize on the opportunities.
- 09:57 - Really impressed with Everton’s Lookman. With the ball at his feet he put on some beautiful moves to get passed two defenders on the attack and force a corner kick.
- 09:57 - Barkley coming on for Chelsea replacing Kovacic at 81:10.
- 09:59 - Great piece if defending by Chelsea’s Rudiger, putting a stop to Richarlison’s downhill attack in the box.
- 10:07 - Lots of yellow cards in this game. Morata received the seventh.
- 10:09 - Kovacic is underutilized by Chelsea, in my opinion. Besides Hazard, he’d be the guy I’d want to have the most touches. Instead, he’s used more as a super sub. He did get the start today. But he left the pitch for Barkley, who has made some mistakes where Kovacic would have served as the better offensive threat.
Chelsea 0-0 Everton
- 10:38 - SECOND GAME Manchester City vs Manchester United
- 10:42 - Silver Fox Aguero
- 10:44 - David Silva with the first goal of the game eleven minutes in off of a cutback pass from Bernardo. This is going to be a long day for United.
- 11:02 - Machester City is excellent at every spot on the field, and their forwards get a lot of much due credit (the fact they can plug in any three of five top-tier forwards helps), but it’s their midfield, which is most impressive to me. Completely selfless, and superbly skilled. Fernandinho is the rock holding everything down and both David Silva and Bernardo Silva play hard, make the extra pass, and take advantage of every scoring opportunity.
- 11:44 - Missed the first eight minutes of the second half showering. Apparently City scored again. Not surprising.
- 11:47 - Lukaku in and then quickly gets ManU a penalty shot, converted by Martial to cut City’s lead to one.
- 11:52 - Since I missed the second City goal, I looked back at the highlight. Beautiful give and go between Aguero and Mahrez to give Aguero his first goal of the day. Also, Sane just stepped on for Mahrez.
- 11:59 - Never a fan of guys dribbling a lot across the top of the box. They usually end up losing it. However, since Sane’s run ended with a pass back to my guy Fernandinho, who is underutilized offensively (for good reason as it systematically benefits the team as whole), for an attempt, I’ll let it slide. Unfortunately, his strike wasn’t wide enough and lacked the power needed to get passed the keeper.
- 13:02 - Missed the end, but Gundogan’s goal was a great example of what makes City so great. He comes on for Aguero, excellent passing around the box, leading to Gundogan in front of the goal with no resistance.
Manchester City 3-1 Manchester United