The Independent Variable
🏈 Bears vs Minnesota Vikings - Live Weblog
November 18, 2018
Football isn’t one of my top sports but given this game is essentially for first place in the NFC, I figured I’d give the live weblog format a spin with football. Here’s to hoping Parkey doesn’t hit any uprights tonight.
- 19:26 - Good three and out for the Bears defense to start the game. There’s going to be a lot of those from both sides tonight.
- 19:30 - Nice work by Trubisky to convert on the run for their first 1st down of the night.
- 19:30 - Jordan Howard is a beast. Gets met a yard past the line but still manages to pick up 5+ yards against Kendricks.
- 19:32 - Trubisky is doing a decent job moving the ball through the air. No big shots over fifteen yards, but if he can continue to make these throws enough to put pressure on the Vikings it should open up the run came for Howard and Cohen.
- 19:36 - Parkey coming in the field for a 33-yard field goal attempt…
- 19:37 - It’s good and the crowd goes WILD!!!! In all seriousness though, I feel bad. That has to be a tough thing to get over mentally. Glad he could knock out the first one of the night.
- 19:40 - Just after making a field goal, Parkey kicks the ball out of bounds to give the Vikings the ball at the 40…
- 19:42 - Just about to force another three and out, but Fuller gets called for PI to give the Vikings their first down of the night.
- 19:43 - Cousins went deep to Diggs in the end zone, who had a good two steps on Fuller. Luckily, Cousins overthrew him.
- 19:48 - Mack with the forced fumble! Call on the field is Bears recovery. He continues to make big, and timely plays.
- 19:56 - After a nice little run by Cohen, Trubisky goes and throws an interception. Tough play. Tight coverage, but it wasn’t the worst throw he’s made.
- 20:00 - Another big play by Mack on third down, getting to Cousins and forcing an errant throw.
Vikings 0-3 Bears
- 20:01 - That quarter break was a little late there. Didn’t even realize it was two minutes into the second quarter.
- 20:06 - First and ten, Trubisky takes his time in the pocket, nothing opens up and the pocket breaks down, but he’s able to scramble for six. Big play.
- 20:06 - Another big run for Trubisky to pick up the first. Probably ran for 12+ yards on that one too.
- 20:11 - Trubisky to Miller for an 18-yard TD throw! Miller did a great job to keep the low ball from hitting the ground.
- 20:12 - And the Bears convert going for two for some reason. Bellamy makes the easy catch in the back of the end zone to make it 11-0 Bears.
- 20:16 - Mack gets to Cousins forcing a rushed throw, which bounced off of Bullards helemt over Callahan, who is unable to make the catch for the interception.
- 20:17 - 📊 Vikings have had four possessions so far. Three were three and out, the fourth ended with a lost fumble. Bears defense continues to put the pressure on Cousins.
- 20:35 - Parkey out for the Bears again. This attempt from 41-yards this time.
- 20:35 - Smooth sailing once again for Parkey to put the Bears up 14-0.
Vikings 0-14 Bears
- 20:42 - Cousins lofted it up for an easy Amos interception to end the half.
- 20:59 - Cohen with the big run on 2nd and 21 to convert the first down. This guy is chalk full of big plays.
- 21:09 - After the Vikings moved the ball a little bit, Fuller was able to make a big play on the short pass to force the fourth down after a 3rd and 6.
- 21:19 - Another Trubisky interception. Even with this great Bears defense, I don’t feel comfortable with a 14 point lead.
- 21:21 - Vikings going for it on 4th and 1 at the Bears 21. They convert on a short toss over to Thielen.
- 21:22 - Another sack for Mack. Big play to push the Vikings back to the 25.
- 21:24 - Floyd and Hicks able to put tons of pressure on Cousins to force a throw to the sidelines and a fourth and long. Bailey coming out to kick the 38-yard field goal.
Vikings 3-14 Bears
- 21:33 - Trubisky had really been struggling with his throws. Poor decisions and overthrows.
- 21:33 - Cohen fumbled… Vikings recovered… These are the kinds of things that let teams back into games.
- 21:46 - Vikings defense have looked much better so far this half. Bears have also been throwing a lot more.
- 21:47 - Bears 3rd and 3 almost thrown for another Trubisky interception. This one could have been run back for six if they were able to catch it.
- 21:50 - Pick 6 for Eddie Jackson. The Bears D continues to be the star of the night.
- 21:52 - Another 2 point conversion with a pass from Trubisky to Shaheen to make it 22-6.
- 21:57 - Jump ball thrown up to Diggs in the end zone, but Fuller was there to make a good play and tip the ball away.
- 21:58 - Cousins able to connect with Robinson on the slant for a touchdown. Offense staying on the field to go for two to match the Bears.
- 21:59 - Two point unsuccessful, but they get another go after a roughing the passer call. Looks like a bad call to me. Bears have been hit with two tough penalties on this drive.
- 22:00 - Cousins connects with Thielen for two this time to make it an eight point game.
- 22:05 - On third and eight, Trubisky is able to find Robinson on a curl for twelve.
- 22:09 - Even at 18 carries, I feel like Howard has been underutilized. Especially in this second half. They should’ve been pounding the ball with him a lot more.
- 22:12 - Parkey out once again. 48-yard attempt that should secure the game for the Bears. And it’s good. Bears go up 25-15 with 2:48 to go.
- 22:24 - Cousins finds Diggs for a late touchdown, but Hicks is able to tip the ball at the line for the two point conversion. That keeps it at a five points game with only 0:48 left to go.
- 22:25 - Cunningham secures the ball for the Bears as the Vikings attempt the onside kick. That’ll do it for this one as the Bears take a game and a half lead in the NFC North.